Steve’s Story

A Second Chance At Life

My name is Steve, I am 31 years old and I have had a permanent colostomy for about 5 months.

My original problem was Crohn's Disease of the large intestine, which was diagnosed about nine and a half years ago.  This was just to be my first hospitalization due to Crohn's, which was to become one of many.  Like most other sufferers, I lost a lot of weight (about 3 stone) and suffered chronic diarrhoea, vitamin deficiencies and strong spasmodic gastric pain.

I also started taking a lot of medication, especially cortisone.  This would reduce the inflammation and pain I was feeling but also made me feel light headed which affected my work badly.  This went on for several years, fluctuating between periods of remission where I felt and looked normal, to bouts of illness with varying degrees of severity.  When I could not control these flare-ups I went into hospital, these visits occurred about once a year.

I found that the disease was controlling my life to a large degree.  The illness and the medication made me moody at times, I am sure I was pretty unpleasant to be around!  As I was unable to get out and socialize, friendships and relationships also dropped off.  But then I told myself, I was sick, I did not WANT to go out.

Luckily my employer was extremely understanding and I was able to transfer around to different sections, depending on my health at the time.  Eventually, however, the illness became so bad that I had to defer my studies, and take more time off work.  This time the doctors were much more pessimistic, and an operation was predicted.

I panicked and began running around all the doctors, just trying to get a different diagnosis; but they all agreed - a colostomy was my only real option left.  I spent the next two weeks swinging from anger to tears unable to understand why this was happening to me.  I also felt more alone than I ever had in my entire life.  I felt like I was the only person in the world to have this terrible operation.  After years of illness and pain, now I was going to be deformed. I would never have a normal life again.

Eventually though, I accepted it.  The illness, the pain, the medication, the fissures, the fistulas were not going to stop.  So I set a date with my surgeon and then went to see the stomal therapist at Cabrini Hospital.  I could not believe how small the pouches were!  They were not going to intrude at all, not like the giant sacks I expected them to be.  After the operation everything went smoothly apart from a few "teething leaks" and after a few months I was feeling better than I had been in years.  Sports were a possibility again and I went for my first swim in about 3 years.  A month later I rode on a club bicycle ride (although I am not saying how long it took me!) I had forgotten how good it felt to be healthy again.

However, the fistulas still had not healed so I knew I had to have one more operation, the one to make it permanent.  This time there was no fear or anger, and after another smooth recovery period, I felt better than before, thanks again to my surgeon and the staff at Cabrini.

I am now back at work again, doing lots of overtime and enjoying a very full social life.  The decision to commit myself to the second operation meant that I could forget about my health problems and get on with living my life again.  It is something I never thought I would be able to do again and it was definitely worth it.

Reprinted from the "Thoughts of YOU" membership folder.  Most stories were written from the early to mid 1990s.

Translate this page »